Saturday, September 07, 2019

Kevin M. Levin resigns from the Editorial Board of the Civil War History journal

NOTE: Allen Guelzo didn't make the quote that savaged Kevin M. Levin in the article. . I need to do follow up. However, my posting about him and the Vol. 2 of "Christian Resistance" is valid.

Kevin M. Levin resigned from the Editorial Board of Civil War History.

I don't think this is a wise move on his part. It is a position of influence. As I have said, they may have hoped he would resign. Even if they hadn't hoped he would resign, Levin's resigning has some advantages for Civil War History.  He won't be at meetings seething with anger or working on something driven by this article. The editors and person who decided to publish this article don't have to see him.

I think he lost his sense and just seething with anger and desiring retribution resigned. This is primarily an injury to himself.

Oddly Levin gives the author of the article which trashes him a free pass.

This is the tweet.
https://twitter.com/KevinLevin/status/1169054763134128133

A couple things before I let this go. I don't blame Earl Hess for any ill will re: bloggers/historians who use social media. His own lack of experience and reliance on two surveys sent out to historians reflects this essay's analytical limitations.

Levin is resigning the Civil War History journal editorial board, but doesn't blame Hess. Hess surely knew what his article said and what the paragraph referring to Civil War Memory in it was saying. I think that Levin, even when the establishment kicks him, is still their faithful servant.

Levin didn't let it go, he has had more tweets.

This is his blog on it.

http://cwmemory.com/2019/09/07/why_i_resigned_from_the_editorial_board_at_civil_war_history/

He had done a tweet on resigning before the blog posting.

https://twitter.com/KevinLevin/status/1169203660590669824

I was told there was a Facebook post, but both I and the person who originally posted it to me could not find it. I think it might have been posted and delted.

He is very angry about it also.
https://twitter.com/KevinLevin/status/1170356531772219392

https://twitter.com/KevinLevin/status/1170092519260151808

I am sure Levin will not reflect on how he has done this to so many others.

There are good developments from this. I think the Civil War history profession has very visibly revealed themselves to be out of touch, a fossil left over from an earlier era in history. It shows how they haven't moved into the era of the Internet, and are a little cloistered club. This will undermine their credibility and lessen their hold on Civil War history.

Levin I expect will learn nothing from this. However, he scope of influence will be lessened. He isn't on the editorial board of Civil War History. He now has a group of Civil War historians who will be his antagonists. Some places will not be inviting him.

I can only speculate on motives for this attack, but Kevin Levin has after Charlottesville, become a big supporter of Confederate Monuments coming down. I think there are those in the Civil War history profession who really rage at monuments being taken down.  But it could just be reactionary rejection of the Internet or some combination of both.

My prior posts on this.

http://newtknight.blogspot.com/2019/09/civil-war-history-is-entirely-in-wrong.html#.XXP-zyg2qiM

http://newtknight.blogspot.com/2019/09/kevin-levin-finds-himself-very-publicly.html#.XXP_KSg2qiM



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

Popular Posts All Time