Friday, September 06, 2019

Jefferson Davis highway is falling apart./ Breitbart is as stupid as ever.

I have realized that if I published a book on the Jefferson Davis highway at this point, it would not work to bring down the Jefferson Davis highway, but keep it alive. So it will never be published. I am not sure what I am going to do with the five or six file boxes of notes I have, but I will have to do something to make sure it isn't used to reincarnate the Jefferson Davis highway metaphysically.

This article is somewhat assuring in that Breitbart hasn't come up with a better idea to keep Confederate monuments than the erasing history idea. I am not going suggest alternatives since I literally don't want to give them any ideas.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/05/virginia-erases-american-history-from-streets-jefferson-davis-highway-now-richmond-highway/

This is important since it makes the rest of the Jefferson Davis highway system less tenable. No chamber of commerce will want their city to be the first city where the highway starts. With the ends of the highway untied, the higway will unravel.

The futility of efforts to keep the built landscape named after some Confederate figure becomes more and more apparent.

I think that psychologically the change of the name of this highway works to undermind the Confederate mouments in Richmond.

Also, everytime anything Confederate gets removed successfully from the environment, it will occur to others that the Confederate named item of the built environment in their city can go.

Finally, as there are fewer and fewer Confederate items, the remaining ones seem more and more anomalous.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

Popular Posts All Time