Saturday, March 29, 2014

Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond Bishop's letter about neo-Confederates

I got a short letter from Most Rev. Francis X. DiLorenzo of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond in Virginia.

I had written him about the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) and the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). He writes that he knows of no such groups meeting at the Roman Catholic churches. Which is correct, I don't know of any either. The letter was passed to a staff member.

What is important is that know the Diocese of Richmond does know about the issue. They don't currently host any neo-Confederate groups, but being informed about the issue, I think they will make sure they don't host any in the future in order to avoid controversy. The letter also shows that they take the issue seriously enough to write me.

When the Episcopal church in the Richmond area give up the Confederacy the Roman Catholic church won't be an alternative.

I think that as more and more churches receive letters the word is going to get around about this issue. Church leaders can easily see that this is a mess that is much easier to avoid than getting yourself out of it.

I haven't heard back from the bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas or the Diocese of Charleston. I am giving matters a couple months before the write Pope Francis.

I am still writing a lot of churches. Once I am done I will be writing social justice groups in the various denominations involved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

Popular Posts All Time