Monday, December 16, 2013

Duval School District drops the name Nathan Beford Forrest for local high school.

The Duval School District in Jacksonville, Florida drops the name Nathan Beford Forrest for local high school. The article is online here:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/breaking/article/338755/17/School-board-votes-to-change-name-of-Forrest-High-School

The vote was 7 to 0.

I helped some with this by providing information on Nathan Bedford Forrest and the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), Florida secession, the history of racism in Florida of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). With www.confederatepastpresent.org I can readily provide information. I have other information on my bookshelves, in files, in my computer.

I have the following book in my collection and was able to send some image files of pages from the book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1YMfAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22S.E.F.+Rose%22+Ku+Klux+Klan&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YaqvUpGxH8O0sASB8YGQDQ&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=Forrest&f=false

Essentially, it shows that the whole Nathan Bedford Forrest hero worship is about white supremacy and the Ku Klux Klan. This book was endorsed by the SCV and the UDC.

Earlier I had provided information about the SCV in the form of this article. http://www.blackcommentator.com/526/526_confederacy_sebesta_guest_share.html

My contribution was just one among many, but I hope to help out in many struggles against neo-Confederacy in the years to come. When the groups fighting neo-Confederacy have the information they need I think they have more confidence going forward. I think politicians seeing the documentation have to think how this will appear on their records in the years to come that they were informed, knew the facts, but voted supporting neo-Confederacy anyways.

Every name that is changed makes the remaining Confederate named buildings seem less normalized and more abnormal.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

Popular Posts All Time